|Main Street Email
Virginia Main Street 2016 designation applications now being accepted
Virginia Main Street is currently accepting applications for new designations in the Virginia Main Street organization. In addition to becoming part of the internationally-renowned National Main Street Center, a designated Virginia Main Street Community receives an array of intensive assistance designed to advance its local revitalization efforts. Customized design assistance, access to state and national specialists, training on key downtown issues, and ongoing marketing and promotions support are among the range of services provided to Virginia Main Street communities.
Applications are due on Nov. 2, 2015.
All applications must be submitted in CAMS.
In order to complete the application for designation, communities should review three documents in detail before beginning:
- Designation Application - This document is for your reference only. All applications must be submitted through the Centralized Application Management System (CAMS). You must register your organization before submitting your application. Registration may take a few days to be approved, so please register as soon as possible.
- Virginia Main Street Designation 2016 How-To-Apply Workshop Presentation
- Virginia Main Street Program Guidelines
If your community is not ready to apply for designation, but is interested in revitalization, the community can consider becoming a DHCD Community Affiliate. The benefits of being an affiliate are the opportunity to attend Virginia Main Street trainings, network with other downtowns and gain access to a variety of resources about successful downtown revitalization strategies.
The Virginia Main Street Program is a preservation-based economic and community development program that follows the Main Street Four-Point Approach™ developed by the National Trust Main Street Center. Virginia Main Street offers a range of services and assistance to communities interested in revitalizing their historic commercial districts. While the program was designed to address the need for revitalization and on-going management of smaller to mid-sized downtowns, aspects of the Main Street Approach™ may be applied successfully in other commercial settings.
As resources allow, Virginia Main Street holds a competitive application period for historic commercial districts who wish to become Designated Virginia Main Street Communities. While VMS is not accepting applications at this time, VMS is always looking to work with any historic commercial district, regardless of their size and location.
All historic commercial districts that are interested in using the Main Street Four Point ApproachTM are eligible to become DHCD Commercial District Affiliate Partners.
- Virginia Main Street Program Guide
- Designated Virginia Main Street Communities
- DHCD Commercial District Affiliate Application
- VMS blog
- VMS Travel Guide (8mb PDF)
- Revitalization Resources
- Upcoming Workshops (2015 VMS Training Opportunities)
- FY 2016 VMS Financial Feasibility Grant – (Application Deadline August 31, 2015)
- FY 2016 VMS Downtown Investment Grant – (Application Deadline August 31, 2015)