Building Entrepreneurial Economies (BEE) is the next evolution of Virginia’s commitment to micro-entrepreneurship. Formerly known as Virginia Enterprise Initiative (VEI), BEE is taking a more local approach to developing stronger businesses that help build stronger communities.
The Building Entrepreneurial Economies (BEE) provides grants and technical assistance to regional and local micro-enterprise development organizations (MDOs) that specialize in assisting non-traditional entrepreneurs. This assistance includes pre-concept counseling, business plan development, credit repair and counseling, credit access and continuing technical assistance. To deliver these services, the MDOs also partner with banks, area businesses, educational institutions, each other and/or other private and public entities within the community. These organizations provide a service that often is not otherwise available and are designed to support the entrepreneur, even after accessing capital. BEE seeks to engage MDOs that provide innovative processes to attract and assist micro-entrepreneurs.
BEE has a range of grant products that are available during different intervals of the year. All grants are available only to nonprofit and local and regional government entities that are interested in providing micro-entrepreneurial assistance and micro-financing to non-traditional entrepreneurs.
BEE does not provide direct grant assistance to entrepreneurs.
- Association for Enterprise Opportunity (AEO)
- Community Business Partnership
- Community Investment Collaborative
- ECDC Enterprise Development Group
- Harrisonburg Economic Development Dept
- Lynchburg Community Loan Fund
- Northern Virginia Family Services
- People, Inc. Financial Services
- REDC Community Capital Group
- Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project, Inc.
- Staunton Creative Community Fund
- STEP, Inc
- Virginia Business Incubation Association
- Washington Area Community Investment Fund, Inc
- Other micro programs