The Building Entrepreneurial Economies (BEE) program provides grants and technical assistance to nonprofit organizations and local governments that plan and implement innovative, comprehensive, strategic and sustainable business development strategies that support local and regional asset-based economic development. DHCD seeks to invest in strategies and projects that support entrepreneurs developing businesses. To deliver these services, these organizations also partner with banks, area businesses, educational institutions, each other and/or other private and public entities within the community. These organizations provide a service that often is not otherwise available and are designed to support the entrepreneur, even after accessing capital. BEE seeks to engage organizations that provide innovative processes to attract and assist micro-entrepreneurs.
BEE provides grants including Planning, Innovation and Implementation grants, with applications due at specific times throughout the year. All grants are available only to nonprofit and local and regional government entities that are interested in providing micro-entrepreneurial assistance and micro-financing to non-traditional entrepreneurs. For more information, see the Building Entrepreneurial Economies Program Design and Grants Application Manual. BEE does not provide direct grant assistance to entrepreneurs.
- Association for Enterprise Opportunity (AEO)
- Community Business Partnership
- Community Investment Collaborative
- ECDC Enterprise Development Group
- Harrisonburg Economic Development Dept
- Lynchburg Community Loan Fund
- Northern Virginia Family Services
- People, Inc. Financial Services
- REDC Community Capital Group
- Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project, Inc.
- Staunton Creative Community Fund
- STEP, Inc
- Virginia Business Incubation Association
- Washington Area Community Investment Fund, Inc
- Other micro programs