The Virginia Individual Development Accounts (VIDA) program is for individuals saving for a down payment on a home, business equipment and inventory or post-secondary education tuition payments. Eligible participants receive training, support and $2 in match funds for every $1 the participant saves, up to $4,000 in match.
To become a VIDA saver, call 1-888-VIDA-WIN to find a local VIDA service provider near you. Intermediaries determine eligibility, and then work with enrolled savers to prepare them to achieve their goal of homeownership, post-secondary education or business start-up or expansion
DHCD welcomes applications to become a VIDA intermediary from nonprofits at any time. Important details for interested nonprofits are in the Program Design (link to PDF). For motivated clients, it can accelerate them along the path toward economic self-sufficiency. To apply to be a VIDA Intermediary, fill out both the 2012 VIDA Application and the 2011 Gnatt Chart.
VIDA receives funding from the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS), Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Office of Community Services’ Assets for Independence Grant (AFI).
VIDA has often been used in conjunction with other DHCD programs including Virginia Enterprise Intiative (VEI) to help start a business and Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) to help individuals and families achieve their dream of homeownership.
Eligible saver applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident and Virginia resident
- Be 18 years old or older
- Meet eligible 2014 VIDA Income Guidelines and household net worth limits
- Have earned income from full-time, part-time or self-employment
- Be able to complete the program within six to 24 months
- 2012 VIDA Intermediary Program Design
- 2014 VIDA Income Guidelines
- The IDA Network
- Apply to Become a VIDA Intermediary
- Center for Social Development
- Community Advantage Program –Self-Help Credit Union
- Corporation for Enterprise Development
- EITC Coalition
- IDA Network
- My Money
- Office of Refugee Resettlement
- Virginia Jumpstart Coalition
- Virginia Saves
- Mortgage Finance Glossary