Local governments face serious challenges when trying to balance their budgets during complex financial times. This difficulty is exacerbated when the state places burdensome mandates on localities. This task force identifies mandates imposed on localities that are overly burdensome or unnecessary and recommends appropriate changes, providing relief to local governments.
In 2011, the General Assembly approved legislation to create this task force, which consists of five members who serve at the pleasure of the Governor. The legislation specifically charges the task force “to review state mandates imposed on localities and to recommend temporary suspension or permanent repeal of such mandates, or any other action as appropriate.”
Authorizing Legislation: § 15.2-2903(8) of the Code of Virginia
TASK FORCE MEMBERS
On July 18, 2014, Governor McAuliffe announced these appointments to the task force:
- The Honorable Mimi Elrod, PhD, Mayor, City of Lexington
- Gary Larrowe, County Administrator, Carroll County
- Marcus Newsome, EdD, Superintendent, Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Wyatt Shields, City Manager, City of Falls Church
- The Honorable George Wallace, Mayor, City of Hampton
MEETINGS, AGENDAS AND MINUTES
Meeting Agendas and Minutes for meetings prior to
April 2014 can be accessed by clicking here.
Click "look for earlier events" below for meeting materials after April 2014