Virginia has allocated additional federal Coronavirus Relief Funds (CRF) available pursuant to the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) for the purpose of allowing municipal utilities providing electric, gas, water and wastewater services to set up local utility relief programs for their customers impacted by COVID-19. Counties and cities, in partnership with a municipal utility that is overseen by a local governing body, applied for funding to set up locally administered utility relief programs to assist their customers with arrearages that have not been paid to the municipal utility as a result of the customer experiencing economic hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The arrearage assistance will cover the period from March 1, 2020-Dec. 30, 2020. The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) facilitated an application process for localities to apply in partnership with their municipal utilities to utilize the COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program to create local relief programs for eligible customers subject to abiding by U.S. Treasury guidance and other regulatory matters concerning the use of CRF funds. Funding allocations have been awarded to municipal utility systems that applied, and DHCD is in the process of finalizing these awards so that funding distributions may be made by the Department of Accounts (DOA).
Information for members of the public who may be seeking municipal utility relief can be found by visiting the "Directory of Municipal Utility Relief Programs" link below or by contacting your local municipal utility. For contact information for your utility system, please direct your inquiry to your local government's website.
Members of the public are also encouraged to contact 2-1-1 for additional assistance.
- Memo sent to Municipal Utility Directors; and City, County, and Town Chief Administrative Officers Regarding the COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program (November 19, 2020)
- Memo sent to Municipal Utility Directors; and City, County, and Town Chief Administrative Officers with Additional Information on COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program (November 24, 2020)
- Memo Sent to Awardees with Additional Information Regarding Extension of CARES Act Deadlines (January 11, 2021)
Documents for Municipal Utility Systems that have been awarded funding
- Required City-County and Municipal Utility Certification Form
- Model Customer Intake Form
- COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program FAQs